New Customer Offer
Lawsuit against sports betting in R.I. dismissed - Providence Business News
9th September, 21:13PROVIDENCE - A lawsuit to halt sports gambling in the state has been dismissed from R.I. Superior Court, according to a spokesman for the R.I. Department of Revenue Monday.
The case, brought by former R.I. GOP Chairman Brandon S. Bell and Joseph S. Larisa Jr. on behalf of Dr. Daniel Harrop, alleged that the launch of sports gambling and mobile sports gambling in Rhode Island was unconstitutional.
The state has said that an approval by voters of table games enabled the launch of sports betting. Mobile betting launched on Sept. 4.
The DOR said the case was dismissed on the count of no standing, meaning the court did not find sufficient connection or harm by the law that was challenged to the plaintiff.
State officials have previously said they had legal authority to add sports betting, which they did in advance of U.S. Supreme Court action to allow it.
"We will continue to move forward," said DOR spokesman Paul Grimaldi. Noting that if someone else filed another lawsuit, it would be dealt with then.
Grimaldi also said that mobile sports betting has seen 6,307 registrations as of noon Monday, while the number of activated accounts (betting requires mobile-bettors to go to either casino sportsbook to verify their identity) totaled 2,345.
Since its activation, mobile betting saw 12,376 bets placed over the weekend into Monday with approximately $410,000 being wagered.
Grimaldi said that mobile bets to date have taken in more money than they have paid out, although specific numbers were not immediately available.
Bell was not immediately available to comment on the dismissal.